New Curriculum & Registration Information
As part of a network-wide upgrades, First Tee – Greater Richmond is moving from our current skill-based programs to age-based ones. Our research suggests that this will create a more stimulating environment for our program participants.
Age Based Curriculum- We will no longer use levels (Little Legends, PLAYer, Par, Birdie, Eagle) to determine program placement. Achieving Ace will still remain an important part of our program.
Participants will register and be grouped by age (5-6, 7-9, 10-11, 12-13, and 14+), and will progress through the program as they “age up.”
Why are we switching curriculums?
Our research has found that:
- Children strongly prefer being with their own age group and to be in class with their friends.
- Kids learn more from a curriculum designed appropriately based on their cognitive development.
- Participants are more likely to stay with First Tee longer and engage in the opportunities we provide to older students (leadership opportunities, scholarships).
Our goal to our participants and families:
- Create programs and experiences that are just as fun as they are meaningful, where kids feel excited to grow, safe to fail, and better equipped for whatever comes their way next.
Frequently Asked Questions
When and where can I learn more about the curriculum changes?
Our programming staff will be hosting 3 opportunities to learn more about the age-based curriculum:
When will the curriculum changes take place?
- The curriculum changes started in Fall of 2022.
Which session should my participant sign up for?
- Sign up for whichever class their age falls into at the start of the program session. Classes will be designed to accommodate both new and returning golfers of the same age.
How will current participants transition from their skill levels into the new age-based levels?
- Participants will be in classes with their peers playing golf and participating in activity-based learning. The accomplishments of golfers who have achieved certification at previous levels will still be honored, and these participants can reach out for clarification on which classes to sign up for.
Are the core values still part of the curriculum?
- Yes! The values will still be highlighted in lessons and their positive attributes will be referred to throughout the program. We do not plan to lose the valuable content that is applicable and supportive to positive youth development.
If there are any questions or concerns regarding the change to age-based programming, please contact Kelly Brown.
Parent/Guardian Registration Portal
We are excited to have a NEW and IMPROVED registration portal. Watch the short tutorial below to see how to set up your profile and begin using our new system.