Curriculum & Registration Information
First Tee – Greater Richmond offers aged based programming that creates a stimulating and age appropriate life skills content for our program participants.
Age Based Curriculum- Participants will register and be grouped by age (5-6, 7-9, 10-11, 12-13, and 14+), and will progress through the program as they “age up.”
Ace is a capstone program built for teens to help them game-plan what’s next. It integrates the skills and inner strengths they’ve developed at First Tee and points them toward exploring, investing in, and building a clear plan and assets for their next step.
In the game of golf, an Ace is one of the most exciting achievements. It requires some skill, a commitment to the game, and even a little luck. At First Tee, Ace is the capstone experience, which allows committed and engaged participants to demonstrate their understanding of First Tee’s life and golf skills as they apply their acquired knowledge and First Tee’s key commitments to four projects.
To be considered as qualified for Ace, it is required that participants:
- At least 14 years old or entering high school;
- Minimum of 3 years in the First Tee Program (do not need to be consecutive)
- Minimum of attendance at 2 sessions per year; and
- Are assessed as ready by First Tee – Greater Richmond coaches
What has research shown about age-based curriculums?
Our research has found that:
- Children strongly prefer being with their own age group and to be in class with their friends.
- Kids learn more from a curriculum designed appropriately based on their cognitive development.
- Participants are more likely to stay with First Tee longer and engage in the opportunities we provide to older students (leadership opportunities, scholarships).
Our goal to our participants and families:
- Create programs and experiences that are just as fun as they are meaningful, where kids feel excited to grow, safe to fail, and better equipped for whatever comes their way next.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which age-group should my participant sign up for?
- Sign up for whichever First Tee course their age falls into at the start of the program session. Classes will be designed to accommodate both new and returning golfers of the same age.
If there are any questions or concerns regarding the curriculum, please contact Madison Allen, Program Coordinator, at [email protected].
Parent/Guardian Registration Portal
Watch the short tutorial below to see how to set up your profile and begin using our registration portal.