At First Tee – Greater Richmond, we’re Building Game Changers by empowering kids and teens to be the best version of themselves.
By seamlessly integrating the game of golf with character-building, we create learning experiences that help kids uncover their inner strength, self-confidence, and resilience that they can carry to everything they do.
Our trained coaches not only provide an introduction to junior golf and an opportunity to enhance golf skills, but they also create a safe, supportive, and empowering environment to help your child prepare for life ahead, including friendships, school, college and even their careers.
Through our program, kids will learn skills that stay with them for life:
- Understanding and managing emotions
- Resolving conflicts
- Setting up step-by-step goals
- Planning for the future
- Appreciating diversity
- Golf fundamentals and advanced techniques
Advancing through the Program
At each age group, participants engage with the 5 Key Commitments: Pursuing Goals, Growing through Challenge, Collaborating with Others, Building Positive Self-Identity, and Using Good Judgement, while focusing on mastering golf fundamentals and building upon a golf skill foundation as they advance within the program.
- Be active and have fun with peers in a safe and encouraging manner
- Build inner strength and self-confidence
- Learn to play golf
- Focus on building relationships with other players while exploring the game of golf
- Explore character concepts in active and collaborative ways that are valuable on and off the course
- Develop golf skills and enthusiasm for the game
- Support positive Game Changing behaviors in fun and meaningful ways
- Explore both golf skills and characters commitments while having fun with peers
- Provide opportunities to demonstrate mastery and growth in golf skills and abilities
- Support growth and development of early adolescents
- Build character and support personal development
- Develop additional golf skills and abilities
- Look toward their future and plan their own paths
- Evaluate, reflect, and apply their understanding of life and golf skills to new situations on and off the course
Please click below for additional information on our programs.
New Curriculum Information
As part of a network-wide upgrades, First Tee – Greater Richmond is moving from our current skill-based programs to age-based ones. Our research suggests that this will create a more stimulating environment for our program participants. For more information, click here.
Player Development Academy
For Player Development Academy information, click here.
LPGA*USGA Girls Golf
For information on the LPGA*USGA Girls Golf program, click here.
Youth On Course
For more information about Youth On Course, click here.
Junior Advisory Board
For information about our Junior Advisory Board, click here.
For a list of our most frequently asked questions, click here.
Program Registration Guide
For instructions on how to register for camps and programs, click here.
A founding purpose of First Tee is to make golf more accessible to all youth, particularly young people who otherwise may not have an opportunity to learn and play the game. Our policy is to provide access to programs regardless of a participant’s ability to play. Our financial aid program is funded by generous donors. Parents/guardians may apply for financial aid as part of the online registration process. Once you have applied for financial aid through the online registration, you will receive an email notification and can then complete the registration.
- We cannot offer any prorated pricing for the Life Skills Experience Classes or Summer Camps.
- Refunds will be subject to a $15.00 administrative fee.
- Participants receiving financial aid are expected to have attendance records in good standing to remain eligible for future aid.
For further information, please contact Brittany Woo: [email protected]
The First Tee Certification Process
With age-based programming, participants will earn “badges” as they complete and exhibit various life skills, golf skills, and golf knowledge. More is to come on this process as First Tee HQ is developing new seamless ways of benchmarking various achievements throughout the First Tee Life Skills Experience Golf Program.
- No equipment is needed – First Tee can provide all necessary equipment.
- No walk-up registrations accepted; all participants must be registered prior to attending class.
- If returning, please make sure to use the same household account from previous registrations to ensure data integrity. If you have questions on your login information, please contact Brittany Woo, Senior Director of Programming.