Become a Coach or Volunteer and Make a Difference
Without caring mentors, positive youth development just doesn’t happen. At The First Tee, we take coaching seriously. We believe that a meaningful, quality relationship between coach and participant is vital to our program.
“Young people don’t care what a coach knows until they know a coach cares.”
As you consider volunteering for our chapter, know that the safety of our kids is our first priority. Please read our Prevention Policies to see how we conduct programs and activities at our chapter.
We’re Looking for You!
Nationwide, we currently have more than 3,700 coaches signed up with The First Tee, including PGA and LPGA pros, as well as volunteers. But you don’t have to be a golf pro or even a good golfer. With The First Tee Coach Program, we provide the training you need.
Developed with input from leading experts in the field of positive youth development, our program focuses on empowering participants through decision-making and exploring options. This helps foster positive relationships between coaches and young people, inspiring the golfers of tomorrow to look to the future, set goals, and unlock their potential.
Make an Impact Off the Course
We need more than coaches to make The First Tee possible. We rely on volunteers — sometimes year round — to accomplish our mission, and not all of those goals involve golf; we need support off the course as well. Opportunities include:
- In-school programming
By contributing your time and talent, you can directly make an impact in a young person’s life.
Before you hit the course this year, we need a couple of things from you:
- Complete one of the online applications below (new AND existing volunteers must complete):
- Complete a secure background check via the confirmation email you receive upon submitting the Volunteer Application.
- Complete the new Assistant Coach Training online via First Tee HQ University (Litmos). This online course takes roughly 30 minutes to complete.
- If volunteers are not coaching classes, they do not need to complete this course.
- Email Mary Kirkman at [email protected] once Volunteer Applications, background check, and volunteer sign up have been submitted.